2023 NATIONAL ALPACA SHOW
DATES – Saturday September 30 September and Sunday 01 October
WHERE – Christchurch
VENUE – Marquee at the Canterbury A & P Showgrounds
Outdoors if the weather permits
JUDGES – Molly Gardner & Jude Anderson – Breed
Molly Gardner – Fleece
CONVENORS – Kees Rietveld – Breed
Anne Rogers – Fleece
CHIEF STEWARD – Mary-Ann Pruden
RING STEWARD – Mark Pruden
MASTER OF CEREMONIES – Christine Sutherland
AUCTIONEER – Ros Scott
PENNING – Cattle Yards in the Cattle Pavilion (straw only)
LIVE STREAMING – CI Media (Breed & Fleece)
FLEECE DELIVERY – Brenor Alpaca Transport - $20 + GST return
ELECTRIC FANS - $80 + GST per pen (fans must have current Test Tag)
ENTRY FEES – Breed $50.00 + GST per entry
Fleece $20.00 + GST per entry
Cattle Pens - $35 + GST per pen
SPONSORSHIP PACKAGES WILL BE ANNOUNCED 26/03/2023
The cattle pen cost covers the supply of fresh straw and removal of the soiled straw at the completion of the show. Exhibitors will not have to clean their pens. Costs have risen sharply due to the use of outside contractors (Canterbury A & P Association no longer provide this service) and we have tried to contain these costs as much as possible.
The 2023 National Show promises to be bigger, brighter and better with two international judges (breed), a very experienced crew of convenors and stewards and a working group who have organized many National Alpaca Shows in the past.
Molly is a judge trainer for the AAA and has judged shows throughout NZ, Australia and Europe and Jude has been judging for 25 years in Australia, USA and Europe and last judged our National Show in 2012. Jude is also the co-author of a book, “The Art Science of Alpaca Judging”. Molly will be the sole judge for the National Fleece Show.
SOME SPECIAL FEATURES OF THIS YEAR’S NATIONAL SHOW
- Two days of live-streaming the breed show and live-streaming of the awards for the fleece show. Sponsors will have their logo or stud name pop up on the screen at regular intervals for their particular sponsorship ie a junior female sponsor will have their stud name POP UP on screen at various intervals during the judging of the junior female for all colours and championships. Having your stud name promoted to a captive world-wide audience is something very special and we encourage our members to take advantage of this unique opportunity. The sound quality will be greatly enhanced this year to ensure a better recording of the show.
The awarding of Championships of the National Fleece Show will be live-streamed as well and winning fleeces will be live-streamed to an international audience promoting the stud name of the winning fleeces.
- To help encourage more fleece entries, the fleece results will be announced at the commencement of the show on Saturday morning. The fleece awards will be presented from the fleece arena with full live-streaming coverage. A large fleece entry would make this a truly spectacular display and promote the NZ alpaca industry to the world.
All age group and colour champions for both suri and huacaya and the two supremes will be announced to the world via live-streaming. Sponsors names will feature as a pop up on a regular basis on screen.
- For the first time in our National Show’s history, we will have two suri breeders as our judges (breed only). We do hope our suri breeders will vote with their feet and seize the opportunity to attend this magnificent show.
- We have secured the services of Ros Scott to be our auctioneer during the Saturday night barbecue. Ros was the star at last year’s show extracting valuable funds to meet the cost of running the show. For the first time in quite a few years, we will be auctioning off stud services for both suri and huacaya.
Watch this space – some of these stud males have been unavailable for outside mating’s and they represent the very best of our New Zealand herd-sires.
- The fees for providing power cables for electric fans have been revised this year and the fee will be charged on a per pen basis. This will hopefully make it more equitable and cost efficient for breeders with just a few animals entered in the show.
- Brenor Alpaca Stud have agreed to provide fleece transport from the North Island to Christchurch for North Islanders wishing to enter their fleeces. The fee for this service is $10 + GST per fleece or $20 + GST for the return journey. Thank you to Brenda and Ivor for providing this service.
- The 2023 National Show will be marketed via Facebook and our own AANZ website. There will be regular newsletters updating our members on developments and sponsors will be added to all mediums to ensure maximum exposure of their stud farms.
NATIONAL FLEECE SHOW WORKING GROUP
Anne Rogers (convenor), Sue Rodriguez, Sarah Frampton, Mary-Ann Pruden,
Kate Beckworth & Lesley Burgess
NATIONAL SHOW WORKING GROUP
Kit Johnson (chair), Kees Rietveld (convenor) Anya Walkington, Kevin Burgess, Liz Strack, Lindsay Riddle, & Wayne Allison